Basking under the sun boosts our serotonin level and does wonders for our mood while giving us a glorious tan to show off for days. But too much sun exposure can speed up the skin’s aging process as well as cause other damages.
Applying and reapplying sunscreen can help a lot; however, never underestimate the importance of sunhats. They provide protection not only to your face but to your ears and necks as well by blocking the harmful UV rays. With that in mind, we have compiled a list of some of the best women’s hats for sun protection that act as the optimal shield and will look good with any summer outfit that you might have planned.
This straw hat is just the right size and goes well with all outfits, from a casual everyday look to a classy, feminine style. It provides optimal protection without sacrificing much.
With this budget hat, you have the freedom to keep your hair up or down. It dries fast as well, so you can enjoy all your water activities without a worry.
This one boasts the best sun protection, is lightweight, breathable, and affordable. And the best part, it is waterproof so you can use it for all your water activities as well.
Table of Contents
Best Women’s Hat for Sun Protection Reviews
Sun hats are summer essentials. You can wear them on your trips, during different activities or while taking a walk on the beach. There are hats fit for every occasion, and we are here with a lot of options for you to choose from.
1. Lanzom Panama Roll Up Hat
This stylish topper from Lanzom has earned the approval of over 20,000 online shoppers from different marketplaces. It complements almost every look, from a flowy feminine summer dress to chic, casual denim wear. You can easily pull this off on the beach as well, even if you have never been a beach hat-type person.
Women find this accessory to be one of the best sun hats for travel because they can fold and roll it up and tuck it into their luggage or carry-on bags. Since it is woven, it is quite sturdy and does not bend or warp easily. So, you can just take it out of the bag and plop it on top of your head without worry.
While this Lanzom hat is available in quite a few colors, it just comes in one size. However, it features an adjustable rope inside for a perfect fit. This helps it remain comfortable and breathable without it blowing off or being too tight.
With this wide brim hat of UPF 50+ sun protection, you could not ask for a better accessory for a hot day of exploring and fun activities.
- Breathable so it does not feel stuffy on a hot day
- Foldable, so it is easy to carry around in small bags
- Sturdy material so it does not bend or get out of shape
- Size and brim are perfect to shield the eyes without getting in the way
- Sometimes the hat is not packed well when shipped
2. Wallaroo Women’s Victoria Fedora Sun Hat
- Has a UPF 50+ rating
- 3” inch with a matching cord trim
- Made with 100% poly-straw and 100% cotton lining
Wallaroo is a highly popular hat brand with a wide-ranging collection, and the Victoria Fedora is one of their bestselling women’s sun hats. It is made with 100% poly-straw with 100% cotton lining, which makes it just as light and breezy as all your warm-weather apparel.
Since it blocks UVA and UVB rays, women with sensitive skin who burn easily love this accessory because they can do all the outside activities they have been putting off for years.
And if you get it dirty, you can just spot clean with mild soap and a soft cloth to get it back to its pristine condition. Letting it air dry with the brim down is the best way to keep its shape, but you can steam it if necessary. This way, you can keep the hat in its top shape and wear it for years to come.
While you get a lot of variety with the colors, you only get one option for the size. But that is not the thing to worry about since there is a drawstring inside to adjust the fit according to your preference. The only ‘flaw’ with this hat is that it cannot be crushed or folded to fit into your bags.
- Has a signature drawstring feature to provide the optimal fit and comfort
- Around 11 colors to choose from to style with your outfits
- Easy to clean and maintain for years
- Fedora design is timeless suitable to be worn at all seasons
- Can not be crushed or folded to fit into small bags
3. FURTALK Women’s Beach Sun Straw Hat
- Full brim sun protection
- Offered in sizes M (circumference 21.8-22.4 inches) and L (22.4-23 inches)
- Made with a high-quality paper straw
Women with big heads and curly hairs have always been disappointed with floppy sun hats that never stay on. But a lot of them have given their seal of approval for the FURTALK Beach Sun Straw Hat.
Unlike most beach hats for women with their one size fit all model, this straw hat comes in two sizes; one in medium to fit the average to petite head, and the other in large to fit gigantic nogs and bushy hair. It even comes with a removable chin strap to have it secured during heavy wind.
The brim is designed to cover all areas, even the most overlooked ones such as your shoulders, upper back, tops of your ears, and the back of your neck. These areas are where people most often forget to apply sunscreen. So, the wide brim, along with the tightly knit structure, keeps you safe by blocking the UV rays from penetrating through.
The straw hat is available in beige only, but there is a decorative ribbon to add a little flare. It moves around a little, but you can slide it back into place.
- Wicking sweatband inside to prevent sweat from dripping down the face
- Removable chin strap to secure the hat during high wind
- Foldable and packable to ensure portability
- Can fit large volume curly hair or women with large heads
- A removable chin strap may come apart during adjustments
4. MURYOBAO Women’s Ponytail Sun Hat
A lot of ladies loves tying up their hair to get it out of the way, but unfortunately, sun hats over tied hair look quite awkward. That is why it was such a relief when MURYOBAO released this sun hat which allows women to pull out their ponytail through an opening on the back.
Both the outside and inside are designed with the user’s convenience in mind. They used quick-drying, breathable polyester with UPF protection on the exterior. Although not completely waterproof, quick-drying is a huge plus if you are using it during fishing or are simply lounging near a water body.
Using the buttons on the side, you can opt to change the style or adjust it to your head. At one point, it almost feels like a baseball cap with sun protection. You can also change the style by snapping the brim on one or both sides.
Since the material is quite soft, it wrinkles slightly when rolled up. But you can always fix it with wrinkle release spray or by soaking it in warm water and reshaping it by hand.
- Foldable side snaps allow the women to style the hat in different ways
- Women can wear it with their hair down or up in a ponytail due to the back opening
- Mesh portion inside to maintain airflow and prevent sweat and odor build-up
- Adjustable drawstring chin strap to keep the hat on always
- Not completely waterproof
- Wrinkles fast
5. FURTALK Wide Brim Straw Panama Hat
- Made with 90% breathable paper straw and 10% polyester
- Wide brim
- Two available sizes (M and L)
- Gender Neutral
We love FURTALK sun hats, so of course, we had to include this one on our list as well. This wide brim fedora is gender-neutral and can be worn by both men and women whenever they want to protect themselves from the sun.
If you have ever thought that you do not have the ‘look’ or ‘face’ to wear a fedora, you might have to think again once you have this cute topper on.
Women love this straw hat for its classic shape and elegant style, and it looks chic with almost any outfit. The brim does not get floppy and stiff, so you are always ready to take photos for the ‘gram.
Besides shading your face against the sun, the Panama hat with an inner sweatband keeps you cool during the summer. This is perfect because it prevents the hair from getting all sweaty and clumpy and overall messy. Not a look you want for your cute summer photo album!
Since it is catered to all genders, this hat is available in two different sizes (M and L), which are perfect for ladies with curly or voluminous hair. Moreover, since it’s woven with high-quality straw, it can be folded to be packed into bags and still retain its shape afterward.
- Retains shape so need to reform the hat when unfolded
- Can be dressed up and down and worn at all weathers
- Adjustable and breathable on the inside
- Flattering on women with voluminous hair or large head
- Brim may roll up after heavy use
6. Adidas Women’s Superlite Performance Visor
- 87% Polyester, 13% Spandex
- Hook and Loop Closure
- Made with recycled materials
- Sleek and lightweight with a premium 3D welded logo
Wide brim straw sun hats go perfectly with almost every outfit. Well, except maybe tracksuits and sports apparel. You could probably pull off this look on a trip, but it would look pretty funny if you are wearing one on your outdoor training.
This is where Adidas’ Superlite visor saves the day. Where most visors fail because of their short Velcro or imperfect fit, this one wins a lot of brownie points with its ample Velcro and the stretchy band for snug-fitting.
If you get too hot, you can opt for this extremely lightweight topper which makes it feel like you barely have anything on. It is great for running or doing other sports activities outside on hot days. Looking for some of the best women’s golf hats for sun protection? This might be it!
As you might expect from any visor, the Adidas Superlite does a good job at shielding the eyes but cannot provide full-face protection. This can cause uneven tanning despite the use of sunscreen. Also, the sides are made with slightly thick fabrics, which can make wearing over-the-ears headphones slightly uncomfortable until adjusted.
- Non-glare under-visor keeps the line of sight clear during sports activities
- Hook and loop closure to allow adjustments as per wearer’s comfort
- Mesh regulates airflow and dries up a sweat fast
- Can be washed in the machine without being damaged
- Does not provide full sun protection
7. Lanzom Big Bowknot Straw Hat
- Made with soft straw material
- Great sun protection
- Folding packable design
- Lightweight and comfortable
If you are on a vacation trip, why not have fun and dress up a little? This Lanzom straw sun hat may not be suitable for everyday wear (well, that depends on who you ask), but it is perfect to add a little oomph to your looks.
This is one of the best floppy sun hats there is. With a wide brim of 5.5 inches, it is quite large and provides more than enough shade to your skin. It sometimes gets in the way, but it looks very flattering and will earn you many compliments.
Considering the size, you probably expect this hat to be flying away a lot, yet it surprisingly stays put, even without a chin strap. Although it does have an adjusting rope hidden inside, which is mostly responsible for creating the ideal fit.
Quite a few customers were initially sceptical of the UPF 50+ sun protection rating by using only straw and cotton. Once they saw the brim with the tightly knit straw/cotton pattern, all their doubts instantly vanished.
This beautiful beach hat is nothing short of a fashion statement, provides extraordinary sun protection, and, what’s more, you can fold it and take it wherever you go.
- Extremely fashionable and goes well with all outfits
- Optimal sun protection to all areas, including overlooked zones
- Keeps the heat away and your head cool
- Pleasantly wide without being too bulky or impractical
- Creases need to be flattened when first out of the package
8. CAMOLAND Sun Visor
- Made with 100% cotton
- The brim is constructed with cardboard
- Ideal for outdoor sports activities
Whether it be for gardening, traveling, sports, beach, or daily wear, a lot of women ditch the brimmed straw hats and go for the chic-looking sun visors. Women who have never been a hat person before and tried this visor only out of necessity changed their minds immediately and loved how good it looks.
You can put your hair up or down and adjust the fitting using the Velcro closure. It has a heavily padded forehead band that stops the visor from pressing down and digging into your skin or giving you a headache. If you want it to be even more secured, you can use the removable chin strap too.
With most visors, you have to sacrifice a little sun protection because of their design. But the CAMOLAND sun visor has a 4.8″ brim that shadows not just your face but your ears, chin, and your neck as well.
This visor does not cause headaches or sideburns and ticks all the boxes as the best hat for sun protection. It is also easier to pack than a big sun hat!
- The top is open so you can put your hair down or have it up in a ponytail or bun
- Large brim shades your face and up to your shoulders
- Hidden loop closure to comfortably adjust the hat to your liking
- Hang the cap when not in use using the open-up tape
- The label is embossed and grabs a lot of attention
9. Ordenado Sun Hat
- Casual style sun protection hat
- Double fabric design
- 100% high-quality windproof Polyester fabric cotton
- Foldable and packable
Amongst all the things that could ruin a woman’s mood during her vacation, a floppy sun hat that does not stay in shape is one of them. Fortunately, this is not a problem with the Ordenado sun hat.
Many customers are highly satisfied with the quality of this hat, and especially how undeterred it stays during breezy and windy weather. With the drawstring chin strap to hold it in place, there is no moving this hat.
It is quite comfortable to wear for long periods. There are vents on the side that regulates airflow, which is highly appreciated during strenuous activities. No more sweat building up and making your head stink during vacation.
If you love spending some time outside, this Ordenado sun hat for women will soon be your go-to accessory for every occasion. It can also handle the rain and is waterproof, so do not be afraid to take it along with you on all your adventures.
To pack it into your luggage or even your tiny carry-on, just tuck the hat up, wrap the neck strap around it, and you’re good to go!
- Brim has a dark underside to reduce light reflection
- Moisture-wicking headband to soak up sweat and dry fast without getting smelly
- Breathable side mesh to ventilate your head and keep it fresh
- Adjustable chin straps and drawcords for optimal fit
- Can smell a little at first
10. FURTALK Wide Brim Sun Straw Hat
If you are looking for big floppy ladies sun hats with UV protection, FURTALK has one (or two, or even more!). The adjustable chin strap has a Velcro patch which makes it super easy to change and ensure the right cozy fit for you.
With the large brim to cover your eyes, ears, neck, and even shoulders, you do not have to worry about aging spots appearing well before their time. And it will stop the heat from getting to you for the whole summer!
FURTALK’s wide straw sun hats are the perfect accessory for a Bohemian look. Not just that, you can also pair it with jeans and a white blouse for an effortlessly timeless look. And if not, accessorize it with a flowy floral dress to top that perfect summer vibe.
It has a black ribbon tied around the round crown as a decoration, but you can always remove it in case you want something more basic.
- Will fit big heads without looking unflattering
- Comes with a detachable string so you will not lose it in the wind
- Medium stiff brim which will not flop down or be bent out of shape
- Can be rolled to be packed in small spaces
- Can not be washed
11. Pineapple & Star Vienna Sun Visor
If you want sun protection without sacrificing fashion, the Vienna sun visor is the best choice. It has a very simple design with a curved peak, 4- and 1/7-inches brim length, and a bare top. And we also love the black ribbon on the back with the two available colors.
It is made with a combination of premium fine paper braid and polyester to maintain the highest quality that Pineapple & Star demands. With the Velcro strap on the hook and loop system, you can custom fit it to your head no matter how small or large your head is.
The material used dries up the moisture fast, so you do not have sweat running down the side of your face. But be careful about getting it dirty as it cannot be washed and needs to be spot cleaned only.
It is big enough to just shield your face, but not too much to get into your line of sight.
- Velcro strap for a secure fit and does not get stuck to the hair
- Fits even the smallest head due to adjusting strings
- Can handle light rain and will return to its original condition after air drying
- The weave is tight and will last for a long time
- Is not completely waterproof
12. Mission Cooling Bucket Hat
If you want to enjoy summer activities outside without the heat or all the sweaty grossness getting to you, then the Mission Cooling Bucket hat is one of the best sunblock hats worth checking out.
Due to its UPF 50+ rating, you can enjoy all your outdoor activities without letting any of the damaging UVA and UVB rays penetrate your skin.
It is designed to cool instantly by 30 degrees in just half a minute when in contact with water. You can activate and reactivate it as much as you like, and it would stay cool for at least a couple of hours. Moreover, they used breathable fabric to maintain airflow and keep your head cool and sweat-free.
Furthermore, the cords and straps can be altered according to your comfort and if you want to pin the brim up, just use the brass pins on either side to do so.
- Lowers your body temperature so you can enjoy all the activities for a longer time
- Quilted stitching reinforced around the brim makes it stay in shape
- Blocks 98% of sun rays, so you do not have to worry about premature aging
- Thin fabric on top of the head, so it does not overheat the head
- Does not replicate the style of a classic bucket hat
While we have listed some amazing Amazon women’s sun hats, there are many more incredible choices out there. So, if you come across a hat that you think cuts, make sure it has all the features we have included below:
Big floppy sun hats look good and are high in demand, but they are not the best choice for outdoor training. Similarly, a narrow sun visor would be a terrible choice for the beach on a hot summer day since it would not provide adequate protection to your shoulders, back, and even the side of your face.
If you are planning to buy a sun hat for a special occasion or a trip, first determine the activities, you will be doing and choose a hat that goes well.
Most sun hats guarantee at least a UPF protection of 50, but not all deliver. Check for the weaving pattern on your hats. A high-quality sun hat is made with tightly knit cotton and straw to prevent the harmful UVA and UVB rays from harming your skin.
If the threads are loose and come apart easily, ditch that hat right away. Even an inconsistent weaving pattern can cause uneven sun damage to your skin. These all depend on whether you need maximum or just sufficient sun protection.
Some women love wider brim lengths that take up large space and provide more shade. Other women find it ostentatious and prefer a shorter and more functional brim length, something that would provide protection but not get in the way.
The brim length is a very important deciding factor as it can solely impact the user’s satisfaction or remorse. Moreover, the quality and shape of the brim are also to be noted. Some women hate even the littlest creases or bents, while others are okay with it.
So, before making your purchase, ensure you have the right brim length and material for your sun hat.
You may love to read: Top 9 Portable Beach Chairs that fit in Suitcase.
If you are confused about which hat size to choose, go for one that is too big. You can always readjust it using the strings or hooks.
What are the best hats for sun protection?
Bucket hats, visors, broad-brimmed hats are the best for sun protection.
What is the best hat to wear in hot weather?
Panama hats, sun hat, wide brim hats, etc. made with lightweight; breathable mesh layers are perfect for hot weather.
Do hats protect the face from the sun?
Sun hats with brims or visors usually cover the top-front end of your face, which shields your eyes, the sides of your face, and your chin from getting directly hit by sunlight.
Do all hats block UV?
The longer the brim of a hat, the more protective it is against UV rays. But generally, all hats block UV, even if by little.
What is the best color for a sun hat?
Darker colors offer better protection, so go for dark blue.
Does wearing a hat in the summer make you hotter?
No, it does not. Sun hats are designed with mesh and light materials to maintain continuous airflow to keep you cool.
How should I wear my hair with a sun hat?
For a snug fit, it is better to wear a sun hat with your hair down. However, with open-end hats, or visors, or ponytail-hole caps, you can wear your hair up.
Is it better to wear a hat in the sun?
Yes, it is! Sunscreen can prevent sun damage to a small extent, but sun hats provide the best protection.
What color attracts the human eye the most?
Due to the physics of light, yellow attracts the human eye the most. It reflects the most light and stimulates the eye.
What should I look for in a sun hat?
Wide brim, UPF breathable material, sizing – these are some of the features to look for in a sun hat.
A little time under the sun can be very fun but can also cause lasting damage. That is, if you do not take the right precautions. Layer up your sunscreen and grab a couple of the best women’s hats for sun protection. You can alternate them according to your outfits and have all the fun you want.