If you landed on this page, you’re undoubtedly trying to find out the answer to one of these two questions:
- What is the #1 best golf mat you can buy today?
- What is the right golf practice mat for your needs and budget?
Well, you’re in luck.
In this golf mat review, we’re going to answer these two burning questions and more.
Not only you’re going to discover the top golf mat reviews, but you’re also going to find out why they’re a significant investment and how to practice effectively with your new mat.
Having this extra bit of knowledge will help you to choose which golf mat is the best one for your needs.
10 Best Golf Mats : Quick Chart
In a hurry? Here’s a glimpse of the 10 best golf practice mats you can buy.
|Preview||Product Name||Size (Feet)||Rating||Price|
|Rukket Golf Hitting Tri Turf – Editor’s Choice||2 x 3|
|Callaway Zone Hitting FT – Best Budget Friendly||1 x 2|
|PGM3660 Emerald Par – Best Basic Hitting Mat||3 x 5|
|Asgens Golf Auto Return – Top Of The Line Choice||1 x 2|
|Super Tee Golf Mat – Best Value For Money||3 x 5|
|Dura-Pro Plus – Best In Quality||4 x 5|
|Country Club Elite – Best Under 50||1 x 2.5|
|SKLZ Divot Simulator – Best For Beginners||1 x 1.5|
|Real Feel Premium – Most Recommended||4 x 5|
|The Original Country Club Elite – Top-Rated||4 x 4|
If you’ve got a bit more time, find the detailed golf mat reviews and buying guide below.
10 Best Golf Mats Reviews : The Most Recommended
Here is the list of the top 10 golf mats for 2020 that continue to outsell any other products in the market. This guarantees that no matter which golf mat you choose to buy, you’ll enjoy a great practice time.
The top 10 golf mats for every budget that you can get….
rukket golf hitting tri-turf grass mat – editor’s choice
If you want the best golf practice mat for both indoor and outdoor use, then this is the product you want to get. You don’t need to be worried about the weather conditions. This best golf hitting mat will help you to get practice all the year round.
This hitting grass mat recently has gained a lot of attention. At last count, it had more than 450+ positives reviews by users. It also continues to be one of the highly rated golf hitting the mat.
In the first place, we consider it the best golf practice mat available due to its exceptional portability and versatile practice lie.
This Rukket Tri-Turf Golf Hitting Grass Mat includes:
XL (6 square ft.) Hitting Area– to provide you authentic “on course” feel when looking down at the ball.
Three different textures- let you practice any lie.
- one emulating the fairway
- one emulating the fringe
- one emulating the tight lie
Real feel artificial grass- to ensure your realistic conditions when you’re out of the course
16mm thick fringe turf – to give you short game feel
35mm fairway and rough turf with separation- to provide you with the feel of an approach shot
Extra thick (2mm) Rubber Base- to offer you stability and durability.
12 tees of different heights – let you practice at the different height.
- Built to the highest standards
- Perfect for the most rigorous of practice sessions
- Long lasting and durable
- Extremely portable
- Fold into compact
- Set up in seconds
- Two sizes available
- The fairway texture sits too high compared to the other portions
callaway zone hitting fT launch golf mat – best budget friendly
The second best golf practice mat that you can get at a very affordable price is this one.
At a very pocket-friendly price, you can enjoy a true golfing feeling with this ultimate training tool. It’ll provide you with real game feelings. Moreover, your game is guaranteed to improve.
In addition, this golf mat offers you the following features:
True-hitting surface- to counterfeit hitting from a tee box or real fairway
Ultra-durable, heavy-duty rubber backing- to provide club protection and greater shock absorption
Heavier weight- to reduce sliding on impact
Patented tee holder- to hold any tee – fixed height
- Perfect for both inside and out
- Highly resistant to wear and tear
- Thick and heavy rubber base
- Wide enough for swing path
- Long-lasting perfection
- Available in two sizes
- Somewhat little tee holder
- Rubber tee not included
pGM3660 3′ x 5′ emerald par golf mat – best basic hitting mat
This PGM3660 3′ x 5′ Emerald Par is an excellent buy for anyone who is looking for High-quality nylon turf with a commercial grade foam backing.
The major advantage of this golf mat is that you can use it on any surface as per your requirements including wood decks and concrete patios.
The other features include:
½- inch nylon turf with industrial glue bonding- To provides greater stability, more durability and prevent quick delamination
5mm super grip backing- to minimize club shock, reduce injury and prevent the mat from sliding when in use
A well-groomed tee box or fairway- to simulate playing
Comes with a rubber tee- you can fix it in any of the four holes of the mat
- Well-built & very durable
- Large enough for wide angle shots
- Perfect size for the net return system
- Comfortable for all size’s people to stand on
- Great for family use
- Made in the USA
- Great value for the money
- Not perfect for iron shots
- Not ideal to use tees at different heights
asgens golf auto return putting trainer mat – top of the line choice
What makes this trainer mat so attractive is its automatic ball return technology. If you’re looking for something to make your training more efficient and effective, you should give it a try. Its continuous auto ball return technology lets you improve your golf skill without interruption.
In addition, at 118 inches by 11.8-inch wide, it’ll fit well in most situations. The premium quality turfs allow you to practice key putting lengths on a roll surface.
Let’s have a look what more this trainer mat offers:
Designed with 3-inches and 2-inches hole- to help you develop precision accuracy and vary challenge levels
Adjustable Gravity Ball Return system- to bring the ball return to your feet and thus save your practice time
Well-thought hole position design- the holes are placed on a slight uphill grade
Three balls put area- let you set three balls
True surface with a white auxiliary line- to make your goal more accurate
Double color grass- to make it more realistic
Grippy base bottom- to keep the mat from slipping on the wooden floor
- Great for working on the short game
- User-friendly design
- Convenient to use space
- Stylish and beautiful
- Easy to roll and carry
- Convenient to store
- Comes with three real golf balls
- Some users complained that the Level golf isn’t completely level to get the ball rolling down the ramp
super tee golf mat – best value for money
Are you looking for a driving mat that will give you a good simulation of real grass, then this Super Tee Golf Mat can be a practical choice.
Although it costs slightly more than the other top golf mat in its class, it’s a very worthwhile purchase for hours of practice off the golf course.
This Super Tee Golf Mat offers some great options:
3’ x 5’ size- to provide you with the ideal size of practice mats for most of the golfer
100% spring crimped nylon material- makes it bunch-, fade- and weather resistant.
1.250″ thick – to allow you to feel the difference on a fat shot
Urethane backing- Can withstand repeated abuse.
Rubber tees- to obstruct your club at impact and provide you a course feel
Accept a real wooden tee- let you choose different clubs to hit at different heights
- Well-built and very thick
- High-quality and really plush
- Offers cushioned feel
- Heavy and stable
- Works well for irons
- Poor cut edges cause little stripe of the turf to fall off
dura-pro plus residential golf hitting mat – best in quality
When it comes to make your golf practice a breeze, you should consider this rated # 1 (by consumers) Dura-Pro golf mats. This extremely durable Residential Golf Hitting Mat offers the best quality in every aspect. Indeed, this Dura Pro golf mat outlasts all other residential golf mats of its class in quality and price.
It’s one of the most standard golf practice mats for beginners. The size is very convenient to fit the needs of most golfers. It can withstand all woods and irons. Fantastic! Isn’t it?
Let’s see why this product makes all other golf mats obsolete:
Made of high-quality turf yarn- 100% Knitted Nylon & composite fibers that won’t delaminate.
Measures 4′ x 5’- Perfect size to allow the golfer to move the ball around
Heavy industrial bonded and thermally welded- to avoid any delamination
UV protected & weatherproof- to support all the weather conditions
30% denser turf- to absorb club shock and improve your skills
- Specifically engineered for golf practice
- Very well-made and durable
- Good enough for beginners
- No harmful chemicals
- Safe to use on hard surfaces
- 100% made in the USA
- Eight years UV protection warranty
- Comes with free accessories
- Included ball and ball tray aren’t of high- quality
- Not perfect for down & through fat shots
- Not recommended for commercial settings.
country club elite real feel golf mat – best under $50
Are you tired of the typical golf mat problems? Are you facing the bounce problem while practicing? No worry! This Country Club Elite Real Feel Golf Mat can be your great solution. This mat will provide you with the same feeling of practicing on the real turf.
It’s an excellent golf mat that takes a real tee. It also allows you to improve your skill by practicing all the year round.
Obviously, you won’t find any other golf mat at this price point that’ll offer a true feel with actual results, especially on the fat shot. It’s not only the best choice of avid golfers but also that of the professionals who want the best.
Surprisingly, in spite of its excellent quality and features, it won’t break your bank. It’s one of the best golf practice mats under 50.
The features that this mat comes with are:
Made from unique “spring set” grass-like fiber- to swing down and through simulating the feel of taking a divot.
No bounce- offer the same feeling you get on natural turf and solve the “fat shot problem” that most mats have
2X Denser than standard mats- let you adjust the real wooden tee according to your needs
Excellent fiber system- makes it sturdy and reliable
True Divot Action- for realistic practice
- Perfect for indoor use or outdoor
- Made of high-quality materials
- Built to withstand the punishment of frequent use
- Easier On Wrists and Elbows
- Reduce the risk of golf mat practice injury
- Comes with a reasonable price tag
- Flimsy edges. Some users expect improvement of this issue.
sKLZ divot simulator glide path golf mat – best for beginners
If we had to pick the Truestrike mat that will offer the solid impact of your golf practicing, then this would be the clear winner.
This excellent practicing mat will not only provide you with the superb golf-ball striking consistency but also the accuracy and power. For effective short game practice, SKLZ Divot Simulator Glide Path Golf Mat can be your great choice.
It also offers the following features:
Unique sliding mechanism- to simulate the natural grass movement and the feel of making a true divot
The rigid slab beneath- to reduce the club shock and wrist or elbow injury as you swing through
Thick, durable turf- to provide a more accurate ball flight and authentic feedback regarding your shots
The sliding “grass” plane- to simulate divot action pretty well
Takes tee- to allow you to practice driving
- Well-though design
- Designed for indoor and outdoor use
- Sturdy and very durable
- Can endure all kinds of shots
- Perfect for hybrids or fairway wood
- No harmful materials
- Safe to use
- No assembly required
- May be pricey for some people
real feel premium golf mats country club elite – most recommended
Want to accommodate your drive? Then, Real Feel Premium Golf Practice mat can be your right choice. This golf mat is one of the top rated products and recommended most on various websites.
It’ll help you to improve your golf swing in your but won’t effect on your elbow or wrist. Not to mention, the mat is expensive but worth it if you are serious about your at home practice. For the price, it’s the best real feel golf mat under $500.
What makes this product top-rated and most recommended?
Hit-down on the Golf ball – that offer you a realistic practice and true feel
Long Fiber System- to absorb the club head rather than resist it and help to decrease the risk of practice injury
No bounce- the unique fiber system eliminates the annoying bounce
Takes a real wooden tee- let you safely use the wooden tee and adjust it to your convenient and desirable height
- Offers large practice area
- Unparalleled quality
- Provides the most authentic feel of playing on the natural grass
- Perfect to improve accuracy with steady practice
- Ideal for prolonged use, durable and long lasting
- Somewhat expensive
real feel original heavy duty commercial practice mat – top rated
The last product that we’re going to review here is Real Feel Original Heavy Duty Commercial Practice Mat. Surprisingly, this is our third inclusion from the same brand Real Feel Golf Mats.
We assume you’re interested to know why? Our review will help you to learn.
Similar to our #9 recommendation above, this golf mat is an expensive option. The price is significantly higher than other golf mats of its class. But it does make a significant investment if you want a truly high-end practice mat. For this reason, it’s tough to beat.
This mat is one of the 5-star golf mats that has gained the highest score from the consumers. And month after month, this golf mat continues to be one of the top-rated products you can buy for home practice.
Why is it so highly rated?
Mainly some of its great features make this golf mat highly-rated and one of the most realistic practice mats available in the market today. Let’s see more.
4’x4′ hitting area –large practicing area, perfect for most training applications
Unique and long fiber system-
To provide you with the excellent response for each shot as practicing on real turfs
To prevent injuries to your elbows, shoulders, and hands
High-end surface quality- to make it stable during practice and to provide excellent durability for prolonged use
Real tee compatible- let you use the regular wooden tee at the different height according to your choice
- Heavy Duty and Durable
- Best Performance for woods, irons, woods, and wedges
- Take a real wooden tee
- Reacts on a miss-hit – a “True Feel” on contact
- Ensures realistic and safe practice sessions
- Reduce the risk of injury to wrists, shoulder, hands
- The price won’t be comfortable for the budget-conscious golfer
The 10 products we recommend on this review are all the best golf practice mats in the golf industry. Although they come with different features, all of them are well- built, high quality and offer good appearance. So, choosing the winner from them is tough. However, we’ve concluded that Rukket Tri-Turf Golf Hitting Grass Mat is the best of the best.
Rukket Tri-Turf Golf Hitting Mat Attack | Portable Driving, Chipping, Training Aids for Backyard with Adjustable Tees and Foam Practice Balls
Why do we say so…?
Well, the two specialties of this mat are- First, it offers three different surfaces for practice. These layers are built with exceptional quality and distinct from each other
Second, it’s very lightweight and portable. So, it’s easy to move for storage.
Overall, it’s an excellent product if you’re in search of a high-quality, versatile golf mat to practice on at an affordable price.
WHY SHOULD YOU USE THE BEST QUALITY GOLF MAT?
- If you don’t want to destroy your beautiful, luxurious lawn
- If you are looking for excellent training support for you before any real courses
- If you need to practice indoor anytime in any weather
- If you want to set up your own practice facility in your backyard or home
- A poor quality golf mat does more damage than good
- A beat quality golf mat will let you practice more
best golf mats buying guide
We hope our review has helped you to pick the best golf practice mat. Now you’ll know what factors make a golf mat “good” or “bad.”
Here are the most important factors to consider:
# GOLF MAT SIZE
What size is perfect for me?
Golf mat size is a great factor to consider in your buying decision. Golf mats come in all variable sizes and shapes.
So, what if you don’t accommodate the right size?
If the mat is too small, you won’t get enough space to stand on comfortably. You may need another surface to stand on. And the surface is not of the same level; you’ll feel uncomfortable.
Definitely, a large size golf mat will provide you with more space to practice comfortably. But it’ll take more space in your home. However, if you have a fixed area to set it, it won’t be a big problem.
In general, a golf mat size ranges from 2 sq.ft. (1’x 2’) to 25 sq. ft. (5’x 5’). Usually, 3’ x 5’ is the perfect size for various applications.
A full-size golf mat-
- Ranges between (3 x 5)’ and (5 x 5)’
- Provides not only a hitting area but also a level set up area
Hitting area mat-
- Comes about (1 x 1)’ hitting area
- Portable and provides enough space for hitting the ball,
- Requires to arrange a suitable leveling surface
Divot simulating golf mat-
- Made of by using the latest technology
- Moves and retracts after each shot to simulate the divot taking
# GOLF MAT WEIGHT
How much a golf mat weighs?
If you require to store your practice mat after each use, you should consider the weight of the mat. Remember, a large size mat is not only taken extra space to store but also will be heavier to transport around. A regular size golf mat made of regular materials generally weighs about 2 pounds per square feet.
# BASE THICKNESS
Which thickness is best for practice mat?
The base of a golf mat is what you need to pay attention. It needs to be non-slip and non-skid in the property.
The base layer of most of the golf mat comes with a rubber base layer. This layer is usually about ½-inch thick. In general, a thicker golf mat absorbs more shock than the thin one.
# TOP LAYER MATERIALS/SURFACE TYPE
To avoid club damage, which top layer material should I consider?
Top layer or hitting surface material is another crucial factor you must consider before buying one. The surface type also affects how fast the ball rolls on it.
The surface layer construction features different materials that give a different feel when striking a ball on.
The following three materials are safe for your clubs:
- The most durable
- Features a higher elasticity
- Require less overall maintenance
- Feels more like real turf
- Have stronger tensile durability than polypropylene and polyethylene
- Smoother than polypropylene and polyethylene surface
- Offers superior ball rolling compared to polypropylene and polyethylene surface
- More water resistant than polypropylene
- Lightweight compared to nylon surface
- Emulates sand turfs better than nylon surface
- More sturdy that Polypropylene
All things considered, a golf mat that features a 100% nylon lop layer is the most durable. It offers the natural feel and club safety. On the negative side, nylon golf mat expensive.
IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE GOLF MAT TEES AND REGULAR TEES?
Can I use the regular golf tees on the golf practicing mat?
Regular golf tees are not suitable to use on the golf mat. Why? Well, it’ll destroy the rubber base of the mat.
Hence, you can use only rubber tees that sit flat on the golf mat. However, if you still want to use the regular tees, you’ve to use tee holder. As has been noted, some premium golf mat lets you use regular tees.
You should avoid golf mat with the fixed tee that you can’t adjust.
Is there any difference between playing on a golf mat and natural turf?
To speak the truth, even the very best quality golf mat can’t perfectly emulate the sensation, feel and feedback that real grass can provide. The problems that a golfer may face during practice on a golf mat are:
First, if you use the golf mat on a big swing, the club will bounce and also slide more into the ball. In effect, it’ll create a solid strike hindering your skills.
Second, your golf mat needs proper maintenance. If the surface damaged, it may cause hands, elbow and shoulder injury.
Third, if your golf mat comes with the built-in tee, you can’t adjust it according to your need. Some golf mat’s tee is too short in height for a driver, and some are too long for irons, fairway wood, and hybrids.
How to Practice Effectively With Your New Mat?
So, now you know the drawbacks of using a golf mat. Taking these into considerations, here are our tips on to make your practice effectively with your golf mat.
- Adjust your swing with short iron habits.
- Skip the short irons completely to avoid building bad swing habits
- Notice how your golf club interacts with the grass at impact. If you strike the ground before the golf ball, it’ll result in fat shots, and it won’t travel too far. To conquer the low point of your swing arc.
- Use a towel behind your ball
- Use a business card or prop in front of the ball like a tee
- Practice with irons every time you’re on the driving range
- Hit the ball first, hit the floor after
- Move the ball forward 3” to 4.”
- Work on your impact location with your driver and irons
- Pay attention to your striking tendencies- are you striking the heel, toe or all over the face? Challenge yourself to hit specific parts of your club face. Definitely, it’ll enhance your ball striking ability.
- Choose the golf mat that features adjustable tee so that you can replace the tee or adjust the height depending on your club.
- The golf mat top layer tends to be more slippery than the real turf. So, wear shoes that will provide you with more traction. It’ll help you to prevent rotating or twisting during a swing.
- Proper maintenance of the golf mat is a must. Whenever you feel the top layer is too firm, you should replace it. It’ll help you to avoid the bad swinging habit, club damages, and injuries.
Getting the best golf mat to work on your game indoor or outdoor is a great way to enhance your practice routine.
Hope, our listed golf mats will make you comfortable as well as promote your practice every day. With our above in-depth reviews, hope that you will be able to choose the best golf practice mat for yourself (also for your family!)
So what was your favorite golf mat? Don’t hesitate to let us know.
Thanks for reading!